Thursday, August 13, 2009

A lost tooth

The other night, as we were leaving an ice cream store, Alex lost his first tooth.


This event had been a long time coming. When you are nearing your eighth birthday and heading into second grade and you STILL haven’t lost your first tooth… it is easy to get impatient. “How long do I have to wait, Mama?” he lamented on more than one occasion.

Or, “Everyone ELSE has lost a tooth. When is it going to be my turn?”

For weeks he had been showing us “wiggly” teeth, which in all honesty didn’t look that wiggly to me. At our last trip to the dentist, a quick x-ray showed that all his “grown-up teeth” were there, ready and waiting. But still no true loose teeth.

Then, on the morning of the big event, one of his teeth was truly loose. Finally. And what entertainment! For the whole day! Wiggling it this way, then that way, exclaiming over how it feels to your tongue! (it doesn’t get much better than this, when you are seven)


But back to the actual tooth-losing event. Immediately Alex and I sprang into action, I was digging through my purse, looking for tissues, Alex was yelling, “I lost a tooth, I lost a tooth, I can’t wait to show my friends!”

And then we launched into a little dialogue, here, hold this against the spot where the tooth was, there’s blood, here Mom, hold the tooth, look at all this blood!

And while we talked back and forth, exchanging tooth and tissue, Jameson launched into his own monologue…

Why did A-WIX lose a tooth? Do we need to go to DOC-TOOORS? How does A-WIX get a new tooth? WHY IS THERE BOOD? DO WE NEED TO GO TO DA HOSPITAL?


I forgot how alarming this must seem to a three-year old, after all his teeth seem pretty sturdy… were they going to start falling out too?

The next morning Jameson was still grasping with this idea of losing teeth and trying to make sense of it all. As Alex proudly showed his one dollar bill (and a piece old German currency… a five Deutsche Mark bill) from the tooth fairy, Jameson had a fabulous idea:

Are you going to use da money to buy a new tooth, A-WIX?



3 comments:

Sharon said...

After Cameron lost his first tooth last month, Matthew scared me silly when he called from the backseat of the car, "OUCH! Mama! I lost da tooth! I pull it, pop it out!" Thankfully, Matthew's pearly whites are still all there!

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine said...

Yeah, Jameson is still really concerned about this whole tooth-loosing thing. Just wait until Alex looses more!