Friday, June 1, 2012

Forced Fun








Last Saturday, the "boys" in the family all went fishing together, and I tagged along and went on a solo hike. I have to say that I really liked that arrangement, and hope to repeat it often. The boys seemed pleased with it too.

But I have this thing, this drive, to expose the boys to hiking, despite the potential for complaints and fussing. On Sunday, I forced everyone out on a hike. We did our "usual" trip at a state park outside Ann Arbor, where we do a two-mile loop that ends at a big lake. We also completed our pre-trip rituals: the all-important stop for strong coffee and bagels, the bribing of the boys with jelly beans, the packing of a lunch. All in all, it was a great little hike.

Perhaps one of the most rewarding parts was hearing the phrase "remember the time when..." and a boy recounting a particular memory from another hike. We are forming some traditions and family memories that I hope we'll talk about for years.




No comments: