Monday, October 15, 2012

This and That


















There we were... enjoying the end of summer at the sand dunes... and BAM, the next thing I know it is mid-October and we've dragged out all the warm fall clothes. Only a few days could have passed, but looking through the pictures on my iPhone I'm starting to suspect a few more than I realized did, indeed, pass by us.

(this isn't boding well for a successful Christmas this year unless things start slowing down...)

Here are a few things I've enjoyed over the last six weeks, in no particular order:

--Alex came home with an A+ on a challenging science test. That night, he was ready to take on the world. I couldn't stop smiling over the test--and his excitement.
--Jameson came home one day with a "Student Council" pin on his shirt. We're still not sure how he got on it ("My teacher told me to go") but we're all proud and amused. He's excited by the promise of a special pizza lunch at the end of the semester.
--Alex was picked by his teacher to demonstrate Math games on a parent-education night. I was thrilled that he was excited by this idea.
--By request of the 10-and-under crowd, we've gone on multiple trips to my favorite local cider mill. I'm not complaining about this activity, at all.
--Jameson started cub scouts; his favorite activity so far was making a paper airplane and then running all over the gymnasium with seven equally-energetic six-year-olds throwing said plane.
--Jameson still lives in a world inhabited by his little band of stuffed animals. I spend hours "talking" for this unlikely alliance of a chipmunk, lion, squirrel and alligator (and--recently added--a cat-fearing deer). He doesn't seem to mind that all the animals have the same voice, and that the length of conversations is directly correlated to his mother's fatigue level. While it does get tiring, I still inherently love this imaginary world we live in together.
--Alex is going to start playing a musical instrument. For some odd reason, the music teacher has not yet told the students what instrument they will be playing. He's leaning towards percussion, but I pulled out my old clarinets just for kicks. After listening to him squeak a few times, I might also be pulling for percussion. (remind me to thank my parents for putting up with years of squeaking from me)





1 comment:

Grandpa said...

Nice blog.
You picked up the clarinet very quickly. Your mother and I (almost) always enjoyed listening to our children practice. We enjoyed the fact that all of you liked music and wanted to play it correctly.
And besides when you were practicing we knew you were committed to getting better and when we could hear all those notes we were sure that you were not getting into any trouble. ;)