Saturday, October 27, 2012

Eleven











I'll say this. It's not hard to get caught up in things... in the cleaning and preparing for visitors, in the preparing of food, in the every-day work of a house. It's not hard to get caught up in work, in the demands placed upon me day-by-day, in the demands I place upon myself.

Which means it is all the more important to pull myself away from all that, and put the focus back on this guy. This one that made me a mother, this one that changed everything eleven years ago.

He and I slipped away together, early on Tuesday morning, and went out for coffee and hot chocolate. We giggled together because it felt like we were breaking the rules. After getting our hot drinks, we picked up an ungodly number of doughtnuts, and I dropped him off at school----one happy kid. He had stacks of doughnuts let in his classroom to give out to his friends, and he had a cup of hot chocolate too keep him warm on his safety patrol station.

It didn't take long, and it didn't take much, to pull the attention away from all that, and onto this amazing young man. Happy Birthday, Alex!

No comments: