My mind has been in the wrong place, these last few days. I've been thinking about getting over a head-cold, and how it just seems to be dragging out. I've been thinking about the increased pace of tasks and responsibilities at work. I've been thinking about the living room, and how I bought new curtains and then promptly changed my mind as soon as I was home. I've been thinking about all the work we still have to do in the house, tearing out wall-paper and painting and installing new flooring. I've been thinking about all the work still to do for Christmas.
Mostly, I've just been thinking about tasks and responsibilities and work.
Luckily, I'm a mother to two wonderful kids, who reminded me of the magic of the season.
"Can we put up the tree tonight, Mama?"
And so I put away those thoughts, those lists of tasks, those heavy responsibilities. I remembered what it was like to see Holiday lights appear around the dark neighborhood. I remembered looking forward to a nice break from school around the holidays. I remembered anticipating time with family, visits with grandparents, Christmas cookies, and--of course--looking forward to presents.
So I watched these boys get excited and thrilled as they pulled out ornaments made in years past. I watched Jameson set up a little nativity scene just to his liking. I listened to some Christmas music (polka, actually) and remembered the Christmases we've had together---our family of four. I watched Alex remember his Papa, who gave him a special ornament last year.
Thanks, Alex and Jameson, for yet another reminder of the important things.
No comments:
Post a Comment