Thursday, January 27, 2011

That elusive life-work balance

Jameson recently took it upon himself to work on my work-life balance.



"Take Peep to work with you, Mama," he said as I got my bags together to go out the door one morning.



Are you sure? I asked my little guy, knowing how much he likes all of his "friends" to be close by during the day.



"Yes, Mama! Take him and then think about me during the work day."



After a few reassurances that I think about him all the time anyway, I took the little bunny rabbit and put him in my bag. During the day, when I would open the bag to pull out my notebook, my iPhone, or my keys, I'd see my little companion and smile--remembering the funny little boy at home.



I snapped the picture above with my iPhone, and Jameson just loved it.



The next day, he sent a dolphin along with me, with instructions to take more pictures.












And then, Morrie the Lion came to yoga class...

(not to be confused with Torrie the Lion---his big brother)





The next day I had two companions for the day... plus a Lego ship.





Those two had a great day---they even came to the Tea Haus with me.





And then it was Morrie's turn again.





Morrie also likes his tea...



And Jameson---well, he's really enjoying this new game. He climbs onto my lap at the end of the day to see the pictures on my phone. He laughs at his friends and enjoys learning about the adventures they had during the day (little does he know that most of the "adventures" revolve around answering email and attending meetings...).

I love it even more, though. I love that he trusts me to carry these special creatures. I love seeing them during the day and reflecting on how much life and energy he's infused into them. I love reconnecting when I get home, and showing him a bit about my day through a lens that he can so easily understand. And I love that at the heart of this---he's found an additional way to connect in the midst of our busy life.

Thanks, Jameson!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

that is sooo cute!!

Grandpa said...

I remeber a sweet little girl that put her Pound Puppy in my car to keep me company on my drive to Cincinnati in the early 1980's.
Fond memories!!