Sunday, January 2, 2011

Year in Review, Part I

I spent a couple of hours today alone with Jameson. If I had to put a title on those few hours, it would be "Tough Love". He wanted affection, but on his own rough-and-tumble terms. Full-contact-hugging, wrestling, wet kisses on my chin, huddling in a "fort" while waiting for bad guys... this is how we spent our time.

He's also very attached to his little circle of treasured stuffed animals, which we call his "friends". I love that his friends are real, with separate personalities and tendencies. I know this phase will be short, and so I treasure this bubble he lives in. Family, stuffed animals, lego ships, and planning excursions to see his cousins... this is his beautiful world, which he fills with love and energy and excitement. And energy, did I mention the energy? And recently, it was not enough for him to have physical contact, his friends needed physical contact too. He stuffs them up my sleeves and down the front of my hoodie. He puts one of them in my hoodie pocket, and checks frequently to make sure I haven't removed him.

In other words, I spent the afternoon pummeled with love and my clothing was stuffed full of---well---stuffed animals. And I wouldn't have it any other way.





Before Alex left for his friend's house, I asked them both if there was a favorite memory of the year. Neither could target a particular time, so I decided to do a quick summary. Here are a few highlights through June of this year.



Winter in Michigan:




Wandering around town, checking out the fairy doors:




Our wonderful trip "down south" to visit Mike and Jurate:





Spring brings new skills:






And hiking excursions:





Mama and J-Mo time:







More hiking:




Impromptu games on the front porch with Papa:



Last day of school and the start of summer:





No comments: