Sunday, May 8, 2011

The picture



I can't stop looking at this picture. I'm sure a professional photographer could pick it apart, finding technical fault. But I love it.

I see two brothers sitting on their basketballs, reluctantly slowing down their play because Mama wants some pictures. I see closeness and camaraderie and joy and a tiny bit of defiance.

I see the 200 (or so) other pictures that I didn't use, that just didn't snap like this one.

I see the work, day after day, of parenting. Not only the feeding and caring and checking homework, but that real work of helping them sort out sibling rivalry (including those times where the best route is by not helping and letting them sort it out).

I see waiting for spring, and months of snow and sleet and then days and weeks of rain, and the excitement to be outside in shorts, playing with your brother.

There's so much to see in this picture.

No comments: