When I was in the Air Force, I sometimes got irritated or annoyed with all the pomp and cirumstance. There were ceremonies for so many things, and I found it tiring and overdone. Formal uniforms, standing at attention, saluting, presenting of certificates and awards... it was a lot of work.
But now that I'm a parent, I like to make sure we are taking the time to recognize milestones and major events, even if the structure is a bit less rigid. These kids are growing and changing so fast, that if we don't take the time to slow down and honor the milestones, it will be over before we know it.
On Friday, Jameson finished his two years of preschool in the delightful little school in the church behind our house. For two years, he's walked through the woods---or around the block in bad weather---with a parent or grandparent and been deposited into the care of three caring women who run the preschool.
In looking back over the last two school years, there has been substantial change in our lives. We moved into a new home, I started a new job, we lost a loved one, and we've had some health scares in our extended family. And through these changes this school---this happy place for our little guy---has been a safe, reliable constant for him.
On Friday I took a few hours off from work to attend the much-anticipated end-of-year picnic. The weather was perfect, the kids were happy, and the parents marvelled at how fast the kids are growing.
Before we ate, the teachers led the group in singing "Happy Birthday" to all the summer birthday kids. Jameson stood there proudly and happily---after all he's been planning his birthday for months! But a short while later, when it was time for us to leave, we had the small ceremony with Jameson and his teacher to officially move him into the "preschool graduate" category. Jameson's lower lip quivered as he and his teacher shared a quiet moment. Then, setting his balloon free and watching it rise up into the sky brought back the smiles.
The little ritual was perfect in its simplicity; a quick moment to pause and savor the milestone before stepping back into the chaos and activities of our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment