Monday, September 19, 2011

The big climb


















So the other night I was busy trying to catch up on work email, while simultaneously downloading and uploading some pictures from our Labor Day Trip (I won't even think about how many weeks have passed since that trip... nope, NOT going to think about it).

So I grew so weary I couldn't stay upright anymore---I guess that's what happens when you get up way too early and are pushed and stretched at work more than you've ever been in your life---so I asked Stefan to shut down the computer after the uploading happened.

And then I realized that he pressed "publish" before shutting down the computer. So these pictures of Alex on our big dune climb have been sitting out there most of the week with no explanation.

So here's that explanation... we did the dune climb.


The huge, steep, unbelievably high dune climb. It was one of the biggest physical challenges I've had in a while. And, it didn't help things that I was convinced to bring my backpack so that I would have access to water and my camera during the climb.

Um, and yeah, it really doesn't help if---before you leave your house on the trip---you stuff a really big, heavy library book in your back-pack and then FORGET ABOUT IT until you are partially on the way UP the dune climb.

So let's just say I had many extra pounds on the climb back up. And, if you have ever climb a sand dune, you know that every two steps up equals one step down.

(hmm... a good analogy towards life at the moment!)

But the hardest thing? The black flies. The evil, biting black flies. Every time I stopped for a breather--which was often, trust me--two or three dozen landed on me and immediately started biting. Or maybe it was five dozen.

So there I was, climbing up an impossibly high dune, loaded down with a backpack stuffed full of water, books, and my camera equipment, wondering why in the world I thought this was a good idea.

The boy next to me managed to keep my spirits up. He had a ball, and through his enthusiasm, so did I.



There's a lesson to be learned in this, I'm sure.


No comments: