Wednesday, September 3, 2008

That Puppy Conversation

I always knew that someday, one of the kids would ask for a puppy, and then we'd have that conversation. You know, the one where you talk about responsibility and discipline and how much work dogs are.

I just didn't expect it to be Alex. Alex isn't interested in dogs... in fact the only interest he usually shows is fear. (Jameson, on the other hand, freely goes up to any dog he sees and delights in being covered in dog slobber)

So you can imagine my surprise when, on the way home from soccer last night, Alex casually mentions, "We should get a puppy, Mama!"

Honestly, I thought he was kidding. "Are you serious, Alex?"

Alex: Yes, I think it would be fun!
Me: Do you have any idea how much work dogs are?? Are you willing to pick up its poop in the back yard or on walks?
(and this is when I expected he would justify how much work he would do and how willing he was... and then how I'd refuse the request because we just don't need any more poop to clean up... and then maybe we'd settle on some sort of pet that lives in a jar or an aquarium)
Alex: But MOM... it would just use a litter box, right??
Me: Umm.. no, they do their stuff outside, either in the yard or while out on walks. And you woudl have to pick it all up in plastic bags and throw it away.
Alex: Are you serious? They don't use litter boxes?
Me: Nope! That's just for cats.
Alex: Huh. Well, nevermind then.

Um, yeah, that will teach me to try to predict how these conversations go!

No comments: