On a whim, Stefan once let Jameson push his “bike” for the walk to school to pick up Alex and friend Henry. And Jameson ran the entire way, full speed. Stefan reported back that he was going to need to get some running shoes to keep up with him. To keep up with a toddler, I thought? Hmm… I wasn’t quite sure I believed it until I saw it for myself. Then one night we decided to walk to our friend’s house, about a mile away. Jameson insisted on “TAKE BIKE, MAMA”.
And then I found out how fast this little kid is. He runs, FULL SPEED, pushing his “bike,” for half a block or more. Then he stops for an agonizingly long break, while the parental unit urges, let’s keep going, Jameson, come on… and then he takes off again, full speed, while I sprint after him. Then the next break. And so on.
So perhaps running track is in this little boy’s future… perhaps he’ll be running 100 or 200 meter sprints, since he doesn’t quite have the consistency of a long distance runner. But then, he is only two. Maybe this goes along with the “all or nothing” mindset of a toddler. Either playing on the swing is squeal-at-the-top-of-your-lungs-fun or it is agony, because HIGHER, MAMA, HIGHER (translation: Mama isn’t pushing the swing high enough). Playing in the sandbox is THRILLING, until it is time to come in, and then life is HORRIBLE. And so it goes we must RUN FAST or stand still.
One person, at least, seems to be able to slow Jameson down to a pace we can all handle. There’s nothing like holding your big brother’s hand on a morning walk.
No comments:
Post a Comment