Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The reader and his cereal

Alex came home yesterday and proudly announced that he was reading the BLUE BOOKS, which means he's at the highest reading level of the classroom library. In addition, he spends copious amounts of free time reading his Astrix books and his Tin Tin books.

This delights me to no end... seeing as he is finally (FINALLY) starting to enjoy reading. Up until now, he was reading well enough (according to the school) but he wasn't enjoying it.

But then this morning I discovered the downside of reading. That is, I am no longer the source of truth. I told him to pick out a piece of fruit to go with his cereal, since it was a fairly sugary cereal. Alex piped up, "But Mom, it only has SEVEN GRAMS of sugar... and it has THREE GRAMS of fiber, and lots of vitamins and minerals."

Yikes. Now that we're getting the hang of reading, the next family learning topic will be nutrition.

(I'm still thrilled about the reading, though)

No comments: