Even after seven years of parenting, it still amazes me how different kids and adults think.
While my thoughts were on shoveling and getting to work and the cruelty of snow in April, Alex’s mind was on a SNOW DAY, free from school and obligations. Jameson’s mind was more simple, there’s snow out and it is really fun, which is where I wished I could be mentally (but wasn’t!).
(I never realized that one of the most fascinating parts of parenting would be the glimpse into my child’s mind, and all that resides in it.)
Usually Alex’s mind is primarily focused on a few things. Candy is one of them. At dinner the other night he was waxing poetic about a particular type of candy. I asked when he had had that candy---and he replied with a very distinct date (Halloween of this year). I am always amazed at how distinctly he can remember the places and times that he has tried various types of candy or sweets. For instance, he can recall the specific type of ice cream he had almost four years ago on vacation. The other night he described—in detail—a popsicle that Stefan bought him when he was two and a half (!!) in Virginia.
Another topic that is never far from his mind is his collection of Lego sets, and when he’s going to get a new one. He reads his Lego magazines in detail, and then can rattle off to me the specifications of all the sets he wants, including the costs, the characters he gets, and all the features. He then has long one-way conversations with me about the pros and cons of each set, and ponders which one he should save up for next. I can only imagine where this capability for mental processing will take him when it is focus on his life’s work. Will he be developing a cure for cancer? Building the cars or airplanes of the future?
But this week’s new focus area for Alex: mouthwash. He’s been asking after my mouthwash… why does it have to be so strong, Mama? Why can’t kids have mouthwash, Mama? Can I try your mouthwash, Mama?
Then we went to the pharmacy to drop off a prescription, and the mouthwash aisle called to him like a beacon. Before I could stop him, he found IT.
Mama, there’s KIDS MOUTHWASH!! Can I have it??
After nearly fainting over the price ($5) and explaining that kids don’t really need mouthwash (but why do you use it, Mama?) we got out of the store, without that darn bubble-gum flavored kid’s mouthwash.
Meanwhile, Alex has tried mine—and while first declaring it too strong—he has now decided that “he can handle it.” And, showing true commitment to the cause, he is thinking of using his money—his Lego money!—to buy his own bottle of mouthwash.
(because his cruel mother won’t buy it for him)
I'm looking forward to next week, to see what new ideas this funny little creature comes up with.
1 comment:
The idea that he would save his money to buy MOUTHWASH is hysterical! What a kid!
Post a Comment