Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Movers and shakers




One day recently when I was walking with Jameson outside, he pointed out an apple tree to me.

“LOOK, APPELLL TREE, MAMA. I WAN AN APPELL TREE IN OUR YARD.”

He went on to explain that we should not only have one, but BABAPA (Jameson's name for Stefan’s parents), GRAMMA and PATA (my parents), plus various assorted cousins, aunts, and uncles should all have one too. And that they should all be together.

As he rambled on in his cute little voice, announcing his desire to link together everyone in our family and to plant apple trees, I realized this boy was never going to be happy unless we lived in a family compound with everyone there, together, all the time. Or we lived in Yurts and travelled around as one huge family unit in a remote part of the world. Somehow, I don’t think his extended family would go for that idea.

I mean, he asks about his favorite family members daily—sometimes many more times a day. He’s at his happiest when there is family over, and he can go from one family member to another, talking and hugging and getting all the attention his little heart can handle. Two parents and big brother just aren’t enough for this little guy—he desires and needs love from so many family members to be happy.






So with these thoughts I announce that Jameson is going to get his wish—at least partially. BabaPa are going to live across the street.

The full story is we’re buying and moving into a new house across the street, and BabaPa are going to move into our current house. It will allow the market to recover before we finally sell our house. It will allow us to move into the larger house we’ve been dreaming about. It will allow us to help them through the challenges they’ll be facing in the coming months and years, and it will allow our kids to experience the joy of having grandparents so close by.

Of course there are a zillion details and issues to face, not to mention the challenge of MOVING, but we’re excited about the prospect and ready to move forward. (and speaking of moving forward--our move to the new house occurs next week—yikes!)

I think Jameson’s heart may be ready to burst open.





And he’s not the only one who’s excited…




I figure if, nothing else, this move saves us the trouble of buying yurts and convincing everyone to travel around Mongolia with us.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I vote for the Yurt. I like a constant 72 degrees, so we'll have to move a lot.

Anonymous said...

you wouldn't have to try hard to convince this cousin to move to Mongolia and travel around in yurts.... ;P congrats on your move! and grandparents' move!

Christine said...

Wow, two family members signing up for the yurt idea. Mike, you could get a remote programming job and support us all, right?
Let's keep it in mind in case this current plan doesn't work out.

Grandpa said...

What is a Yurt?? Can we be next to a nice golf course?? Is there any good beer in Mongolia?? Can Mike support us all?? As long as there are grandchildren around, I'm in.

wrgarvey said...

Certain foreign languages have distinctly different names for the paternal grandparents and the maternal ones. I guess your kids are just precocious ambassadors in training!