Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Where does the time go?



We've been so occupied with settling in that I haven't had much chance to take pen to paper... err... hands to keyboard. And settling in takes a whole different mindset from moving. You get to stop your life when moving--I took off work, we had lots of help... but now, with settling and unpacking and making it our home... this takes much different effort. And life keeps on moving. I've decided not to worry too much about all the boxes still in the front room or the mess in the basement, what with beautiful weather and the activities of two busy boys.






Alex has happily absorbed himself into second grade. Our little social creature is happy when he's busy and active and surrounded by friends. He makes friends easily, and is frequently engaged with one friend or another in those precious hours between the school bell ringing and dinner time. And when friends aren't occupying his thoughts, Star Wars and Legos and other toys are. Last weekend, on the way to a birthday party, he talked non-stop about teeny, tiny details of Star Wars. He was so absorbed in his descriptions that I barely mumbled a word the entire trip, both in awe of his attention to detail and wondering when he gets a chance to take a breath.



Jameson, meanwhile, has settled in happily to a little three-day-per-week preschool at the church behind our house. His little world, composed mainly of his family, is expanding at light speed as he encounters teachers and friends and new experiences. Typical Jameson-style, he's loving every minute. He also brings home art with a prolific madness that makes me wonder where we can put it all.


He's also absorbed in the transition from wearing diapers to a being full-time potty user. Apparently he got tired on the rewards we were offering and developed his own carrot: a party with a cake. I'm not sure how this will all shape up yet, but he's wants me to bake him a cake and thinks everyone should come celebrate. A potty party, anyone?




And one of the biggest benefits--in their minds, anyway--of our new house? A nice little playground just on the other side of our tiny patch of woods. Because there's nothing like spending the evening swinging with your brother.







3 comments:

Sharon said...

We had a potty party! But it was for training purposes, not celebration.

What a GREAT theme to work with though! Tiny toilet seat cupcakes, "Everybody Poops" as centerpieces, goody bags with undies and maybe Tootsie Rolls . . .

I can't wait to see the photos!

Christine said...

Ha! And I was just going to have a cake with a frosting potty drawn on the top. Now... I have so many more ideas to work with! I'll take pictures. ;)

Sharon said...

A few more ideas:

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/09/any-occasion-will-do.html

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/09/dont-do-it-billy.html

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/06/willys-first-order-of-business.html