Sunday, November 22, 2009

Connecting

I am sitting in our dining room, of the house that we now own (or, at least a bank owns, and now we owe the bank LOTS of money, but hey, at least we have CLOSED) and bells started ringing on the church behind us. It reminded me of Germany and my morning walks up the small mountain behind our house. I always knew when to turn and start towards home because the church bells would start ringing.



And suddenly I’m so thankful, not only for this home, but for the potential of hearing church bells occasionally.

I’m also thankful for Magic School bus, which the boys are currently watching. I “plugged them in” to the TV and gave them both a plate of homemade cinnamon rolls so that I could take a long shower and write a little.

It’s been a busy week, one where lots of things in the “grown-up adult world” have shifted. Not only do we now have a new mortgage, and are no longer tenants in this house we’ve desired for years, but I have accepted a new job. I’ll start transitioning into it after Thanksgiving.

Add those two things to my yoga teacher course, which is occupying a significant section of my active brain cells, and I was distracted when it came to the most important things in life. Namely, those two boys over there watching Magic School Bus. Sure, I did all the book reading and bathing and tucking in that I normally do, but I wasn’t as focused as I’d like to be.


So Saturday morning I really enjoyed reconnecting with them. Jameson, typical to form, jumped out of bed, climbed up on his Daddy and demanded that books be read to him. A short while later, he demanded to take a shower with me. (I love taking showers with him—his delight in the water is priceless) Later, Jameson and I went to the farmer’s market, where he demanded a special drink and a special treat to eat. Then he demanded radishes while I sorted out which bunch of spinach to buy. (this was the one demand I didn’t give in to… I can’t seem to find the right way to prepare radishes so that I actually want to eat them)



Alex was a bit slower, and a little different in communicating his desires. Mama, I need you. Mama, I missed you yesterday while you were at yoga. Mama, come here. So there I went… I climbed all the way up into the top bunk and cuddled with that tall, thin second grader. His moments of vulnerability--where he shows a little of that baby and toddler that he used to be--are becoming rarer as he grows up. I have to grab them while I can. Twenty minutes later, he was talking at full speed about his Lego creations of the day before, which Bakugon creature he needs next, and how soon can he get on the computer to play a Star Wars game?


(Alex at a water park last weekend---a belated birthday treat)

I guess that’s what weekends are for… slowing down, reconnecting, and making cinnamon rolls for two cute boys. Speaking of which, its time to make another cup of tea and go play some Legos.

No comments: