Sunday, November 15, 2009

Exclusive


Recently all the rage with the household second grader has been "exclusive" items. Sometimes this fascination is flamed by the marketing departments of large companies. For instance, Alex received a book for his birthday which he just loves. The book outlines all of the different Star Wars Lego sets created and recreated throughout the years. (this is where I start to think I am in the wrong business... I mean, they not only make and sell legos sets, but then they write books about them that make kids want to go buy MORE of them... ingenious) And, embedded in the cover is an "exclusive" Anakin figure. I won't even hazard a guess on how many identical books were printed with this "exclusive" figure.

But other times he and his friends bring on the "exclusive" fascination. For instance, when trading little Bakugan toys, they convince themselves and each other that this one or that one is exclusive and therefore more valuable in negotiations.
"This one he found while on vacation in North Carolina, and it is only available there."

"I traded two of mine for this exclusive one that can only be found in Kalamazoo."

Now unless the Bakugan company is planting spies in the local second graders, I can only assume that the boys THINK this is really true, but is more a result of stocking practices at the local toy stores than any official policy.

But for whatever reason, these boys have latched on to the idea of "exclusiveness," and engage in deep analysis and careful negotiation before trading. The value of these items shoots way up, once it is thought to be rare or in short supply.




Perhaps that's why Saturday was such a wonderful day. A sixty-degree day. In November. Now that's rare, and in short-supply.
And oh-so-welcome. So as we spent much of our day outside, doing end-of-the-season yard work and tossing the ball and playing in the sandbox, I brought out my camera to capture this exclusive day.


ps--I'm in this picture, can you see me?






No comments: