Sunday, August 19, 2007

Happy Birthday, Pop!

Last week, Pop turned 86 years old! Most of his family was able to be there for his birthday and help celebrate. It was a wonderful visit at his house, complete with light sabre duels, good food, and hair cuts.



When I asked him a few weeks before what he wanted to do for food---go out to eat or have us bring something---he said he only wanted a sandwich. He said he would rather have time to play with the kids than go out to a restaurant where they would have to sit still.


So, Pop got his sandwich! We brought up the sandwich supplies, Angie and Darlene contributed condiments, Christie brought some fresh vegetables from her mother-in-law's garden, and Gustie supplied the ever-important cake! It was a feast.



One of my favorite parts was watching Pop with the kids---especially when they would arrive. "I have to squeeze you" was what he said, before he clinched them up in a big hug.



The whole gang:



Light sabre fun:



All five kids with light sabres!

Most of the gang in front of the barber shop: One of my very favorite parts of that day was actually before we went to Flushing. The four of us stopped at the Farmer's market to get some fresh fruit. We decided to do our "usual" and get coffee and muffins as well. It was wonderful to have Stefan along---I called him my pack-horse because he carried everything---and the kids were in a great mood. Additionally, the weather was perfect and the market is in full swing... wonderful smells, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables....

Stefan was amused to see Alex in action at the coffee shop. We do enjoy our routine--and I love having a little helper. As soon as the order is in, Alex goes to find a table. Then, he gets the baby seat from its usual corner and drags it over to the table. He also checks to make sure we have the right number of chairs. Jameson watches him from his perch on my back and squeaks in anticipation of sitting in the high chair and eating his pumpkin muffin. Alex can also reach the water dispenser and so he gets a cup or two of cold water to go with our hot drinks.

My part of the routine--in addition to getting the drinks and food--is to get all the supplies: spoon for Alex to eat his whipped cream (check!), lid for Alex's drink (check!), straw for Alex's drink (check!), napkins (check!), extra straw for Jameson to play with (check!), lid for my drink (check!).

I carried Jameson in the new Ergo carrier. The more I wear it, the more I enjoy it. I love feeling his little body against me---especially when he gets excited and bounces up and down. Alex and Jameson were "talking" while I was buying some fruit at the market, and I could hear Jameson's happy chirps and feel his chubby legs kicking--and it was wonderful to be in touch with him while shopping. When we got to the car, I was sad to have to buckle him into his car seat.



Following the day in Flushing, we gathered at Jim and Gustie's house for a day of PLAY with the Lutzers. The grown-ups spent quality time sorting through Gustie's classroom books while the kids played and played and played. Jim was almost permanently assigned to Jameson so the rest of us could get things done. Jameson wasn't complaining at all---Papa is quite the super hero in his life right now!


Jameson and "Papa"

Take my shirt OFF, Daddy!



Then, the next day, Jenni and I spoiled ourselves at a salon while our wonderful husbands watched our children. We all met up for dinner later. Julia was a little needy near the end of dinner, but decided she would let me hold her for a while so her Mama could prepare the beets. Jameson and Julia are five months apart in age--about the same as Alex and Sylvie--so I keep telling them that they are going to be best friends. Jameson is ocasionally interested in toying with Julia but their days of running around the back yard playing Jedi and Princess are years away.


No comments: