Saturday, August 25, 2007

Pet Worm



I missed the boys this week---it was hard to be without them all day long. I forgot how demanding they can be, and just thought about Alex's creative play world and Jameson's emerging communication skills. So, this weekend I was determined to spend as much time with them as possible.




It started out great... Jim and Gustie came over for a pizza and salad dinner Friday night. We ate downstairs in the basement, preparing for a "big storm" predicted to come through. Alex kept himself busy between bites of pizza by running all over the house and bringing down all the candles he could find. He wanted to be safe in case there was a power outage! The power flickered, but didn't go completely out.




The boys and I went early to the farmer's market on Saturday. Alex was outside waiting for us while I finished getting ready. I heard some happy chirps from Jameson as he looked out the front glass door at Alex. Then---I saw what was so exciting---Alex had stuck a worm on the glass! He found a HUGE worm and was playing with it and showing it to Jameson.



When I walked out, Alex made his case for worm ownership. Here's one of his quotes:




"But Mom.... I really want a pet worm! I've never had a pet worm before. Only a dead caterpillar."





Well, I was more intent on going to the market then creating a home for a worm, so we compromised and decided that if the worm was still there when we returned, he could keep it. (turns out, he wasn't so interested by the time we got home so he let the worm stay free)



Once we got home, he was more interested in gearing himself for a movie he plans to create:



"Mama, I'm going to make a movie called Police Battle 222. It's going to star me. It will be a little like Star Wars."

He took a backpack that goes with a broken squirt gun, in addition to various light sabres and other equipment. It was great to see him occupy himself so well... in sharp contrast, today (Sunday) he's been very clingy.



Jameson is really interested in learning to talk and communicate. One day while I was at work this week, Stefan taught him a sign for "brush teeth". It's sticking one finger just into the mouth. Now, whenever he finishes a bottle, he requests to have his teeth brushed (smart baby!). He thinks getting his teeth brushed is really fun.



He can also say "tickle". It sounds like "tick--uuuhl". He also wiggles his fingers and opens/shuts his hands while saying it. He first demonstrated this on his brother while we were all playing in the living room recently. But during the weekend he "tickled" Daddy while riding in the backpack on a trip downtown---much to Daddy's delight.


No comments: