Thursday, October 11, 2007

Play-Doh Reincarnation

So tonight I had a mission. I wanted Alex to color a picture to send to Lithuania. One of my sister-in-law Jurate's nieces, Judita, was a good pal to Alex when we were visiting for the wedding. She's a bit older (12) but he really took to her.

Judita sent--via Mike and Jurate--some KinderEggs for Alex over the summer (chocolate eggs with toys). I just found something to send her--hence why we were working on a picture.

It's hard to get Alex to draw or color or write. In his mind, why do that when there's Star Wars to play or scooters to ride??

So I was trying to sit next to him, but Jameson kept on demanding more and more attention. It worked for a while to have Jameson bringing me books to read him---but there were only so many times I could read Arthur and the farm. (and it didn't work to hide it!)

In desperation (just how many of my parenting discoveries and--conversely--disasters are made in desperation??) I pulled out a box with some old play-doh and accessories.

Wow, was it exciting! Jameson was satisfied enough to sit still on my lap for over 30 minutes! Alex was interested in the play-doh---so much so that he eventually put aside the drawing and instead played with us. I don't think the play-doh box has seen the light of day since before Jameson was born.

And, it was fun! I think it is very relaxing.

The fun ended when Jameson started tasting it and then broke down when I told him "No". (I was quite surprised it took him about 30 minutes to start tasting... not that I'm complaining, just surprised)

So we cleaned up, turned on some music, and bopped around to the tunes. Alex picked out a Pogues CD and--will wonders ever cease?--started back in on the picture.

No comments: