It was still fun, though. I was on parenting duty for much of the weekend, because Stefan was setting up and then running a Volksmarch.
Saturday's soccer game was great. Alex's team lost—again—but all the parents thought there was significant improvement. They are (somewhat) trying to play positions. Alex started in a defensive role, in front of the goalie but not up with the forwards. He knew his role—when the ball starts getting near the goal, kick it really hard!! Regina and I shouted encouragement and congrats after his successful kicks. He was so happy and so proud to have Regina there watching—her cheering made his day.
Jameson was a little more problematic… but that's expected for a fifteen-month-old! First of all, as we were going out the door, I noticed that he had COMPLETELY worn out his soft leather-like shoes. I knew there were small holes starting to form… but these holes were so big that it was embarrassing. I had Alex watch Jameson while I raced downstairs and pulled out a big Rubbermaid box of old shoes of Alex's that weren't worn out. (thank goodness for that fit of organization during my pregnancy with Jameson!) I found a cute pair of toddler shoes which I brought up and put on Jameson.
This is his first pair of "hard-sole" shoes. He didn't know what to think of them. And since we were running out the door to get to the game on time, he didn't have a chance to check them out. He was from my arms, to the car, to the backpack, to my lap. After attempting to get some food in him (which lasted most of the first quarter!), I put him on the ground. I was so hot—and he was like a heater in my lap—that I couldn't hold him anymore. I was coated in sweat and just wanted to find some shade and perhaps a swimming pool.
But… something odd happened. He didn't want to walk! You could see the wheels moving in his head… what are these odd things? They feel strange! I can't walk! Why did Mom put these on?
Regina called them "Baby Anchors" since they did "anchor" him to the spot! But it could only last so long---by the end of the second quarter he was up and on the run again. (hey Mom, these shoes aren't so bad, after all!)
Regina had stopped at a Middle-Eastern market on her way to the game, and she brought along some great treats. Alex and Jameson enjoyed little date cookies (think fig newton, but with dates). She and I both had a taste of baklava! It was too hot to eat too much of it, though.
Alex decided to offer one of the date cookies to a team-mate (whose Dad happens to be the coach) while they were both on the sidelines. So, Alex--being a smart kid--interrupted the coach on the sidelines to ask permission to offer the cookies to James. I was proud but amused!
Alex played forward later on and had 4-5 near misses on the goal—what agony for his mother who just wants him to score!! Then he played goalie, and as he said later, "Mama, I didn't let any balls in to the goal the whole quarter!"
The coach is great--very encouraging for the kids. I can't help but laugh at some of the things he has to say to the kids though. Run to the ball! Kick the ball! Go the other direction! Michael, keep focused on the field and not the clouds!
The best part of the game, however, was the end. Alex (and Jameson) got juice boxes, and Alex got one of those artificial-fruit-roll-up-things.
Not thinking too clearly—my thoughts were on air conditioning and ice cream—I put Jameson in the backpack while he was still playing with the juice box. When we were almost to the car, he dumped the juice down my back! It was nice and cool for a moment, and then his front and my back were sticky and wet.
After a stop at the old Big Ten Market for some treats, we all went home and took a shower!
The next day we went to Stefan's Volksmarch at Independence Lake. It was supposed to be a "Fall Colors Walk"! The colors were alright---but where was the fall? We were so miserably hot that we stopped after about 4Km. Again--Jameson was on my back and we were very, very sweaty. Here's a picture of my boys and I hiking!
So even if the event was a little miserable, I do like that picture!
No comments:
Post a Comment