Sunday, November 18, 2007

Jameson the Eater


After the seriousness of the last post, I do have to write about how much trouble Jameson has been causing!!

On one hand, he's very very eager to eat. Or at least get out food and play with it.



So here's what happens... he walks over and makes noises at the fridge. If a parental unit (or babysitter) obliges, he'll stand in front of the open fridge and try to either a) pull out a yogurt, despite already having had 2 in as many hours or b) pick another random thing out--like soy sauce--and make a run for it.



So let's assume it was the yogurt. Then he gets put into his high chair and wants to feed himself. Now I SHOULD be eager for him to learn these skills. And I am. Mostly. But it goes all over the place. And sometimes it seems like it is more of a game than an eating exercise. Afterwards, he needs a very good washing-up or sometimes even a change of outfit. (as little 6-year-old Sylvie mentioned yesterday---in comparison to her neat, calm one year old sister---"J-Mo is MESSY!")



Then about 5 minutes later he's standing at the closet, demanding that the closest adult open it up and give him a container of applesauce to eat. And then we repeat the messy eating/playing ritual. If I stick to my guns and say "No, you just ate, we'll come back in a little bit," I am, of course, greeted with the standard toddler approach to dissent: screaming!



Yesterday I decided to let him try some smoothie. I was a little appalled at our lack of variety in our fruit selection so I had invested in some frozen blueberries to mix it up a bit. Jameson loved eating the blueberries straight from the freezer---and he loved eating (well, playing) with the smoothie. You can see the results!


By the way---the smoothie did start off in a cup, which was quickly tossed after he dumped it into the bowl.

He had to have his whole head--including his hair on the back of his head near his neck--washed off. Then as I was cleaning up his tray, he climbed up on to a kitchen chair, grabbed a muffin, unwrapped it, and started eating. It was cute... but again... another mess to clean up!


Long story short... I love his drive to experience food and to take delight in it and explore his ability to have some control over what he eats... I only wish his "delight" was a little less messy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Look at the bright side- maybe you got all the sickness out of the way before the holidays? :)