Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Szumko Plague

It has been a rough couple of days as we all try to fight off bad respiratory infections.

Jameson and I even had a trip to the ER on Sunday afternoon because of a high fever and lethargy... lucky for us, he didn't have anything too serious. He perked up after a medical student gave him a popsicle and even ate another snack after that---more food than he had consumed all weekend! Just like Alex at this age, he is very resistant to doctors and nurses and screamed when any of them examined him. He also gave some dirty looks to clinicians after exams that were so intense they were funny! (meanwhile, I was busy watching what computer applications the clinicians were using, now that I work in the IT department!)


I thought Alex had escaped the plague until early early Monday morning (0330, I believe) when I heard some whimpering and a little voice calling "Mama.... Mama....". At first I thought it was Jameson---I had been up and down with him for a good chunk of the night---until that weak little "Mama".


It is amazing how sickness turn kids (not to mention adults!) in to babies again. Alex wanted to be held and comforted---but also was especially pleased when I let him have two cherry cough drops.


Meanwhile, we're taking it easy, resting a lot, and trying to get better!


A few pictures from last week...


First, the boys playing together. They continue to find new ways to engage each other. This requires some effort on Alex's part to play at Jameson's level. But, because he loves his brother and because Stefan finds ways to make it entertaining for both of them---he continues to do it.


Next, right after Jameson came down with his fever, he and I elected to stay home and rest while Stefan and Alex went off on a walk with his Volksmarching club. I thought these pictures were great.


And Alex loves this picture of "Jay" (as he is frequently called). He's getting better at feeding himself, so we took a few pictures, but Alex likes this one because "he looks like a snapping turtle!"



And another more funny Alex quote. He and I were sitting together at the computer looked at some pictures from when Alex was about Jameson's age. We both commented on how different Daddy looked (no goatee, for one!) and so later Alex relayed his thoughts to Stefan on this topic.


"Daddy, we were looking at old pictures yesterday and you looked SO YOUNG!!! Your face looked younger and you had much more black hair, because now you have a lot of silver hair!"

No comments: