It was amazing partly because of the great weather. It wasn't too hot or too cold---you might need an extra layer if you were in the shade but the sun was warm and pleasant.
And it was amazing because of the fresh food from the Farmer's Market. We're firmly into "the season" for fresh, local food, including the aforementioned strawberries and one particularly great sesame noodle salad I created with spinach, asparagus and green onions from Tantre Farm.
But the best part of the weekend was the long hikes I went on with the boys. With Stefan working much of the weekend (at his folk's house, and at the Science Center, and at his rental property) I decided that it was time for the boys and I to get out and enjoy the weather---as well as get some exercise. So two times over the weekend I loaded up snacks and water into the stroller and then convinced Jameson to climb on in. Alex strapped on his helmet and took off down the sidewalk on his scooter.
They were mostly happy to go along with my plans of taking long walks... as long as we stopped frequently at playgrounds and I kept them fed with snacks. I'd have thought it would be boy paradise... fresh air, sunshine, playgrounds, and snacks. But lo and behold, these boys still have their trigger points.
Take, for instance, the horror of one boy getting the snack ahead of the other boy. Can you imagine the injustice?? It's enough to send a certain little guy fussing and pouting. Or if one boy gets slightly more snack than the other?? Ooohh, the agonizing complaints!
Or, there's the fact that the grass is always greener. Jameson wants more than anything to be the one in front, deftly riding his scooter ahead of slow Mama and the stroller. And Alex? Of course he secretly wishes that he could be in the one in the stroller---getting to sit back and relax and watch the world go by.
But if dealing with a little sibling rivalry is the price for long, beautiful walks, I'll gladly pay it. Because we really did manage just fine... I got my exercise and sunshine, the boys got their playgrounds and their snacks... and I was so thrilled that we even stopped by Washtenaw Dairy to get the boys some ice cream.

So I'm still trying to figure out why it had to end... this wonderful weekend filled with walks and boys and sunshine. Mainly, though, I'm just holding on until next weekend, when we get to do it all again. (with Stefan!)
No comments:
Post a Comment