Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What every baby turtle needs




During our stay at the YMCA camp this past weekend, the son of one of our friends found a baby turtle swimming in the lake.

Oh, the excitement this little turtle generated! I’m not sure there has EVER been a baby turtle more appreciated, more played with, more spoiled. (of course, baby turtles aren’t normally going around begging for human playmates, but I digress)

Jameson watched as the “big kids” build a little sand home for it, complete with slides and little pools and other things that turtles just need. We watched the animatedly discuss the potential names and debate whether or not the turtle wanted to go down a water slide.



But then, when the big kids were finally directed to release the turtle into the lake, Jameson came over to me with a couple of questions.

“Baby Turtle back in da wa-der?”

Yes, we had to release the turtle.

“Is da baby turtle’s Mama in da lake?”
Yes, the turtle has a Mama.

“And his Daddy?”

Yep, his Daddy is there too.

“And da turtle has an Alex?”

I smiled. Yes, I’m sure the turtle has an Alex, just like you.




“And Baba-Pa?” (Stefan’s parents) “And Gramma-Pata?” (my parents)

Yes, the turtle has all of those as well.

“Okay.”

And with that, apparently, all was well with the turtle. And the world.











No comments: