It's a good thing we have Alex to help us raise Jameson. I mean, sure, Jameson knows a lot more about Star Wars than most three year olds, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
For instance, Jameson was being all sorts of obstinate and difficult a few weeks ago. He also had a runny nose and a cough... and with this kid, that usually means an ear infection. Never one to succumb to the normal symptoms like ear pain or a fever, with Jameson its all in the behavior.
Remembering our last trip to the doctor because of illness, I was loathe to go back. But then I remembered my secret weapon... Alex. When properly "motivated" (bribed is such a strong word) he can do no end of good in shaping Jameson's behavior.
For instance, the scale... usually a fight to get him onto it. But that day...
Look at how much fun the scale is, Jameson! I love standing on it!
OKAY, A-YIX. LOOK, I STAND ON IT TOO.
And the thermometer...
Don't worry, J... just stick it under your tongue. No big deal.
OKAY, A-YIX. NO BIG DEAL.
When there was a fear of getting on the exam table, a thoughtful nurse brought out crayons to color on the paper sheet covering it. Within seconds both boys were up on the table, coloring away. The doctor--oh the wonderful doctor!--even joined them in coloring for a few minutes before doing the ear check. By then, Jameson was so cheerful and happy from all the "Alex attention" that the exam was a breeze. The doctor declared him infection free and--get this--a model patient.
Oh, big brothers. Why didn't we have one to help us raise Alex through the terrible two's and three's? Stefan surely would have had far fewer grey hairs.
No comments:
Post a Comment