Monday, May 31, 2010

Adventuring



"Every moment and every event in every man's life on earth plants something in his soul."
-Thomas Merton




After reading the quote above on one of my favorite blogs, I realized that this is one the reasons that we take the boys out on adventures.
This weekend we went both kayaking and hiking. Of course, I love these activities and want to share them, but that alone may not inspire me to endure the fussing and unique "challenges" of introducing two very different boys to these outdoor activities. I hope that activities such as these plant a seed inside these boys of mine. I hope they grow to appreciate and marvel at the great outdoors. I also hope they appreciate their physical abilities and how wonderful it feels to exercise (and even sweat a little).








Time will tell if these seeds take root, but I feel good knowing they are being planted.

(Our hiking excursion ended in an impromptu swim in a lake. Both boys were a bit wet on the way home--we didn't have towels or even swimsuits--but it was great fun.)

No comments: