Oh, were we having a day.
It didn't help that Stefan and Alex were getting ready to head out for a scouting overnight. The house was full of anticipation, and it didn't involve the youngest member of the household. To top it off, he and I had both been sick over the past week or so, and when this little guy gets sick, he gets seriously cranky and stubborn.
When we went out for our typical Saturday trip to the market, Jameson punched his brother while I tried to buy produce. He couldn't possibly walk with us---he either had to pull on my arm and walk SLLLOOOWW or he had to run ahead.
And, let me just say... we will be remembered at the Ann Arbor Food Coop... I was the frantic woman gasping out such statements like "NO JAMESON" and "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW, JAMESON." He was the one trying to stand in the cart and yell "POOP POOP POOP".
Yes, this was a day to remember. A day we will laugh over, someday. But by lunch-time, when Stefan and Alex departed, I started counting the hours until they returned.
Later we went out to pick up dinner--oh, there was no chance of cooking that day--and we stopped at book store while waiting for the food. Jameson ran away from me. I mean, he seriously ran away. I had two young employees helping me (I spotted him in Science Fiction, Ma'am!) and had to chase him down before catching him.
Let me just repeat that. I had to chase my son through a store to catch him.
After that, in order for this little guy to understand how seriously wrong it is to run away, I canceled the long promised post-dinner movie. Sobs followed the entire way home (and not all were from the back seat).
Following dinner, I had to do something to keep us engaged. I was desperate.
Then I remembered that he had been asking for a cape to be added to his black shirt for quite some time. Remember the batman pajamas? They recently resurfaced, and Jameson has been wearing Alex's cast-offs almost nightly for months. (that's right... he's Batman by night, and Luke Skywalker by day) So I managed to scrounge a few materials I had left from long-ago sewing projects and made a little fleece cape to attach to his shirt.
It won't win any awards for craftsmanship, but it kept our focus and interest for at least an hour. Before we realized it, bathtime had arrived and the day was ending. With relief, I tucked this little guy into bed.
Tomorrow would be a new day.
1 comment:
comedy = tragedy revisited (or by distance squared).
So, given that definition, we're allowed to laugh. a lot. ;) Glad Sunday turned out better.
Post a Comment