Yesterday, the itch to travel--the itch to get out and see something new--became so overwhelming that I just had to do something out it. For weeks, actually, I have been craving a road trip or some sort of excursion that didn't include our regular repertoire of places.
Stefan was occupied for the day with scout training, so I lured the boys into the car with promises of bagels and sweet drinks along the way.
After our fueling stop, we were on our way with said snacks and beverages. I had my mind set on a two mile hike in a state recreation area close by. I had been there once with a friend, in late fall, and we had run along a different route. A couple of internet searched showed that another, shorter trail existed from the same parking lot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained... so off we went.
After our fueling stop, we were on our way with said snacks and beverages. I had my mind set on a two mile hike in a state recreation area close by. I had been there once with a friend, in late fall, and we had run along a different route. A couple of internet searched showed that another, shorter trail existed from the same parking lot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained... so off we went.
I was realistic in my expectations, however. If the rock-throwing proved excellent at the lake in the park, we may spend our entire time doing that. If there was a playground, we may never leave it. And really, I'd be fine with that. Just getting out of town on such a beautiful day was enough--the hike was the icing.
After a beautiful drive following the Huron River--a drive in which the boys were so focused on snacking and drinking that peace prevailed--we arrived at our destination. After securing a few maps (oh how longingly I looked at that two mile trail!), we parked and explored the surroundings.
The lake was beautiful and big---but alas there were hardly any rocks to throw. There were swings, except they were on top of big puddles. There was a really high slide--but after 5 or 6 trips down it was declared to be not nearly slippery enough.
The lake was beautiful and big---but alas there were hardly any rocks to throw. There were swings, except they were on top of big puddles. There was a really high slide--but after 5 or 6 trips down it was declared to be not nearly slippery enough.
So what's left to do, but that two mile hike? It didn't take much to convince them that this was now the best option (only a few persuasive words that hinted at the promise of jelly beans). So off we went.
And wow, what a hike it was. Where were these boys weeks ago, when we were day-tripping and hiking in South Carolina? Eager to point out bugs, eager to skip--or run--ahead on the trail, thrilled with every twist and turn of the trail... who were these creatures?
And the natural beauty must not be overlooked. The trail meandered through rolling hills and small lakes, and ran beside beautiful creeks. We crossed bridges, threw rocks, relaxed on board-walks, and even ate a snack on top of a little stone structure. We lingered at particularly beautiful spots, and soaked up the warmth of the sun. I could hardly believe my fantastic fortune to be sharing this near-fairlytale-like experience with these two boys of mine.
But then, about 1.5 miles into our 2 mile hike, reality came creeping back in. Both boys suffered separate falls while attempting to run and chase each other. Jameson settled into a cranky mode, and got in that lovely toddler mode of "if I sit here long enough maybe someone will carry me." And as for me, my stomach began to remind me that I had neglected to include snacks or lunch for myself--and with all that lingering and enjoying we had been doing, it was well into the lunch hour.
2 comments:
Apparently, at 1.5 miles you have exceeded the natural laws of cuteness. :)
I am so glad you got out and explored. It's time to dig out a new rut.
Post a Comment