Monday, June 21, 2010

Conversations with Jameson



Jameson's existence in the last few weeks has mainly floated around two things... his upcoming trip to my parents for "Grandma Camp" and his fast-approaching fourth birthday. This weekend, after Alex goes away for overnight camp, Jameson will get to go to my parents house for 5 or 6 days of spoiling and swimming and crafts and cookies. (is it any wonder he's excited?) At the end of "Grandma Camp," the rest of us will join him for a weekend at my parents and for his birthday celebration. Questions, comments, dreams, conversations with his stuffed animals... all of it revolves around these two important events.

Here's one example:

J: Mama, is my birthday tomorrow?
M: No, it is in about two weeks.
J: Oh, is that in 2 more naps?
M: No, that's many more naps from now.
J: Oh. Will I be four on my birthday?
M: Yes, Jameson, you will be four years old.
J: Will I still be Jameson when I am four?
M: Yes, you will always be Jameson.
J: Oh. Will I be a grown up?
M: No, you have a long time until you are a grown-up.
J: Oh. So I'll still be your boy?
M: Yes, thankfully, you will still be my boy.





Also, Jameson was recently sick. Nothing too serious, a small virus that was treated with fluids and rest and special attention. But we discovered it while we were at the playground---he wanted to huddle in my lap and I realized he was hot---hotter than he should be after playing around the jungle gym, anyway.

The next time we went to the playground was about three days later. Apparently it really stuck with him that he had been sick at the playground, because on the whole walk there he chatted about being sick. And how he was NOT going to be sick this time.

One brief moment really stood out.

J: Mama, are there other words for sick?
M: Sure there are, JJ. One of those words is "ill".
J: How about Dragon?
M: Dragon? Do you feel like a dragon when you are sick?
J: Yes, I feel like a dragon.


(Later, when telling Stefan, we realized that he was using Stefan's word---dragging. As in, "I'm really dragging today... I must be tired." I'm not sure if Jameson interpreted Stefan's word as "dragon" or if that was purely my interpretation. Regardless, I do feel a bit like a dragon when I get sick.)

No comments: