Contained within each of us is the capacity to turn ordinary moments into extraordinary moments. All it takes is but a moment of attention.
--Govinda Kai
I came upon this quote in my yoga studies, and I realized how often this applies to parenting. These boys of mine are always doing extraordinary things, but it takes patience and attention to recognize these moments.
Jameson was out on the front porch, quiet, for a period of time this weekend. Sometimes this can mean trouble, so I stepped outside to investigate.
I found him in the midst of designing a "Star Wars Ship".
He spends much of his time these days dreaming of ships, and designing ships, and talking about the magical powers of these ships. He sleeps in a carefully designed ship, made from two pillows and five blankets. All of his stuffed animals are tucked in specially created pockets and folds. I find flashlights and random plastic items stuffed into the blankets as well, presumably to control and steer these ships.
He spends hours designing Lego ships, and they truly are amazing. He's creating such intricate and detailed ships that he's on the cusp of challenging his brother. (his brother who is over fours years older than him!) Sure, some of these ships collapse and fall apart, but the wheels are turning and the neurons are connecting.
Something special, something amazing is happening here, and I'm so fortunate to get to witness it.
2 comments:
Christine, Oh how I wish I had the idea to write about the witticisms of you and your brothers. The conversations with your children are wonderful, amazing and so full of special moments and memories. You may not have the hours with your children that I had with you three, but the sense of love and acceptance of each child's uniqueness you have with your children is so special. Love, Mom
Thanks, Mom!
Post a Comment