Sunday, September 26, 2010

Weekend




I snapped the two pictures above while the boys were intently examining a spider (outside the window, thank goodness). She was capturing and paralyzing her prey, and we had moment-by-moment updates with great animation and excitement. It was a welcome distraction for everyone, mostly because seconds before the boys were wrestling like crazy monkeys and driving us insane.


There are many pictures like the second one of Alex on my camera. Neither boy is taking well these days to Mama snapping pictures of them, so I've been bringing out the camera less and, when I do take out the camera, I do my best to take somewhat hidden and guarded pictures.


Our weekend was influenced heavily by activities across the street. Jim's ALS is progressing quickly these days, and so we do our best to balance spending time with them and giving them both a chance to rest and retreat. It pains me to see the progression and the mental and emotional anguish it causes, yet I feel that we are all pulling together as a family unit in ways we never have.


For instance, it has become my ritual to stop in during the time after our dinner and before the boys' bedtime. Sometimes I bring the boys over---and they scamper about chasing the cat, riding their scooters on the ramp outside, or begging for "one more popsicle, Mama". Sometimes I go on my own, and the three of us sit down together. It really is a privilege to be invited in to these moments, helping Jim in and out of his wheelchair and helping him eat and drink at the dinner table. I know our moments with him will come to an end much earlier than any of us desire, and so these moments together are precious and sacred.


Just as sacred are all the moments with these boys that occur constantly, day in and day out. Whether it is watching my children share their joy over a spider or catching Jameson basking in the warmth of fall's first fire, I do my best to appreciate and honor the sacred in our daily lives.


ps--I told Jameson I was only photographing the fire, so please don't let him know that he's in the picture too!


No comments: