Monday, September 6, 2010

Moments

Times have been a little tough here on Ardmoor Avenue for the Szumko adults. There are the usual concerns, like keeping the house clean and getting food to the table before the boys are so hungry they start fighting. Then there's the start of school and the rush of full activities. There's also the synchronizing of work schedules and cub scout events and soccer practice and travel for work.

But all of that pales a little in comparison to the discussions and thoughts on a horrible, debilitating disease and the impacts it has on all those affected. I haven't spoke much about ALS here on this little blog, but let it be known that this disease has floated a cloud of sorrow and sadness over our home and our "second home" across the street.

So naturally things have been difficult and distressful. But from that place of struggle, there are also so many moments worth celebrating, worth remembering, worth smiling over. Having two healthy, vibrant boys running in and out of our home, and skipping over across the street to simultaneously borrow eggs and deposit kisses has brought many poignant and--yes--even joyful moments to all of us.

As I looked through the memory card on my camera and on Stefan's camera I came across some of these simple, funny moments that I wanted to deposit here so that we can all share in them.


Jameson's feet in summer... he never, ever wants to wear socks, not even in the coldest part of winter. How many times have I washed off these grimy feet before dinner?? Too many to count!


How they spend hours and hours of time. And when they aren't playing Legos, they are watching Lego movies or reading Lego magazines or playing with Lego software on the computer.


Jameson, on the deck, holding new Lincoln Logs. Our next door neighbor gave the boys some old plastic army men and Lincoln logs. I came home on Friday to find my two boys plus one more with a massive battle scene spread out all over the deck. Their focus and fascination were a thrill to watch.


New toys. On a bike ride, Stefan snagged these ski goggles from a "free" pile on the side of the street. I have a feeling they will be making many appearances in the boys' playtime over the next few weeks and months.
Below--I unlocked the car and the boys climbed in while I was still getting things ready inside. By the time I came outside to run an errand with the boys, I found this:




The crazy boys had found my hard hat and goggles for work. The entire drive to and from our errand was spent discussing how many time each of them had wearing the hard hat. Each of them tried their best to orchestrate the time so that they had more than the other.



Yes, even in these challenging times, we are seeking out all the joy we can. These boys make sure we don't have too far to look.


No comments: