We're in the early stages of packing for a week at a YMCA Camp with Jenni and Bill (and kids) and Heath and Mo (and kids). I'll be commuting back and forth to work as I finish up this week with the Air Force.
I've decided that packing for this trip is like a "dry-run" for packing for our long trip. I still wonder sometimes about why we decided to do this road-trip with a one year old??
This is our third summer going to camp... it really works out well for us. Stefan, Jenni, Heath and Mo all met while they were campers and camp counselors together--now they get to take their kids back to camp! We all share the responsibility of making and preparing food, and we have the camp resources open to us. Swimming in the lake, hiking trails, canoeing, archery, etc. Plus fun "campy" type things such as making lighting a fire and making smores. Oh, and we aren't "camping," we have a nice house to stay in. Ahh... the joy of camp without the challenge of "camping"! Here's a picture of Alex in 2005 during our first summer at camp:
Last summer Alex spent two days (thanks to Jenni and Bill, who volunteered to take him for a night) while Stefan and I anxiously awaited the arrival of Jameson. I vaguely remember going down for a few hours, and walking all around camp with Moe trying to bring on labor. Jameson arrived a few days later.
The week in pictures: (and stories)
Let's see... the week in review. Stefan's friend Tom stayed with us for a few days. I think he may possibly be the easiest houseguest ever. He entertains Alex (and Stefan for that matter!) and doesn't mind sleeping in the basement.
Here are some pictures of the boys playing. It's great to see them play together, although Alex has started to show some frustration when Jameson doesn't want to do exactly what he wants him do. (surprise, surprise, he has a mind of his own!) But, for some reason, it delights Jameson when Alex lightly hits him with pillows from the couch.
Thursday night we had an impromptu gathering at Jenni's house... although without Jenni! (long story) I had the two babies on my own for a few minutes... this was the scene when Stefan and Bill got back with the pizza. We had a "movie night" and Alex introduced Sylvie to Star Wars. Apparently she doesn't share his fascination with it---she told her mother in the middle of the night than she never wants to watch it again!
Jameson continues to take steps... even getting up to 7 or 8 at a time! I think he may have said the word "Bath" the other night too. I was unloading the boys from the car and telling Jameson that it was time for his bath. He repeated "Bafff" back to me several times!
He appears to be at a wonderfully unique stage between baby and toddler. He's starting to communicate and "toddle" around, yet he's still a baby. He has a few tricks right now, one of which is to show us his head (puts his hands on his ears). And as I mentioned before, he knows the sign for "more" (banging hands together). He sometimes gets his tricks mixed up, though! Stefan was playing with him one night; Jameson wanted Stefan to make a racoon head appear again from the chimney of a little toy house. (It's the gift from Aunt Sue that entranced Alex at age 1... Jameson now LOVES it) He would get so excited that he would sometimes forget how "more" worked, and instead grab his head or just wave his arms around! We were just delighted in his excitement and his attempts at communication.
Jameson and I went to the farmer's market together on Saturday. It felt strange to be there without Alex! (He and Stefan were out on a walk with Stefan's Volksmarching Group.) I put Jameson in the backpack and got a lot of attention! It has a nifty little cover over the top so he is out of the sun. We had a great time together. He's really noticing all sorts of things (people, dogs, bikes, etc) and shows his excitement with delightful little squeeks and shouts.
Alex during the walk in Blissfield:
Alex and Stefan had a good walk in Blissfield. Alex proudly announced to me "I walked the whole 5K, Mama!" According to Stefan, Alex had a great quote. Stefan was going to check something out, so Alex said, "Okay Daddy, I'll wait for you under the picnic civilian." (pavillion) They ate at a local restuarant after the walk with other members of the group. Alex was excited about his "dirt Sunday" ice cream treat at the end.
We had a small birthday party today for Jameson. After all, this is our last weekend home until August! Jim and Gustie (grandparents) and "Pop" (great-grandpa) joined us for a meal and some cup-cakes. Jameson wasn't very hungry by the time we gave him his cupcake, so he didn't eat much of it. But he did enjoy sticking his hands in the frosting!
Alex, to my big surprise, declared that he doesn't like cupcakes or frosting. What?? I asked him who the imposter is---and what happened to my Alex??!? Not that I am complaining that he is turning down a sugary treat, but I had actually purchased these cupcakes from a brand-new store in Ann Arbor with him in mind.
With this week's heat, and all the little activities, Alex needed a rest!
I still have to "blog" our last day in Lithuania. Maybe I'll have some time tomorrow morning to get online before we leave. Here are a few pictures to wet your appetite.
2 comments:
Christine, these photos are great! I just had to laugh at the one of Alex with a bat and Jameson with his eyes closed. At first glance, it looks like Alex must have just given Jameson a good whack! And the later photo of Jameson laughing -- you can almost imagine him saying, "Ha! Good one bro! You got me!"
That Macek guy is a pest. It's a fact.
Post a Comment