Somehow, I ended up as the navigator. Perhaps it was because I was holding the map, perhaps it was just because I was the last one to get in the van--and the only empty seat was up front. I hope I did the job alright--I at least got us there and back with no casualties.
One of the best parts of this day-trip was just observing and looking at the towns and cities we drove through... and people watching (when possible!) and pointing things out to each other. We particularly enjoyed finding the storks.
The first item on our agenda was the Hill of Crosses, about two hours away. My Aunt Sue (who wasn't even on the trip!) found a great description of the history of this interesting place. You can find it at: http://www.sacredsites.com/europe/lithuania/lithuania.html
Essentially, the tradition of placing crosses on the hill may originate all the way back to the 14th century! It has, at times, been a symbol of Lithuanian defiance against foriegn invadors, a tribute to those who have died (usually in a war) or even an act of defiance against the Soviet regime.
Alex was interested for as long as it took to buy and hang his own cross (which he later moved to another spot) and place a few coins around in front of Holy figures. Then, we moved into "Alex-mode" and found a nice place next to a creek to sit down and play Star Wars. I indulged him and tried to get into his world and play with him... after all, it can't be THAT much fun to be cooped up in a car all day with a bunch of adults to go see some crosses! I even designed a light-sabre for Princess Leah, who of course becomes a Jedi in a soon-to-be-developed movie (by Alex).
One of the things I appreciated about this short trip was being able to focus on Alex. In our day-to-day life back here, I am so many things competing for my attention... work, the house, Jameson, etc. But there... beyond the logistics of travel, I was free of the other obligations and spent time in his world. I think it was good for both of us.
My Aunt Marg found a smaller, out-of-the way parking lot where we had a picnic lunch. In the absence of picnic tables, most of the group stood around while munching on sandwiches. Alex and I had a better plan.
And again, we found an AMAZING playground. Alex was in his element. The grounds of the windmill (which housed a 3-story restuarant inside of it!) was beautifully manicurred. The "grown-ups" of the group (ie, those over 40) spent time walking through the garden area while Alex, Stefan and I explored the playground.
Funny Alex!
A wooden mask inside the mill, probably about 18 inches high. We did our best to find one of these to purchase over the next two days, but had no luck. We did find a few about 5 inches tall--which will be hanging in our kitchen shortly.
We also took a quick detour into the center of town to see the church. Here are some pictures of the church yard. I especially like these because Stefan is in them! I realize now, looking back at the pictures I have posted so far, that Stefan isn't in many of them. Really, he was there!! He was a very important part of the trip! He had the kids very entertained, especially during the wedding. And the adults tended to enjoy him to... mostly for his ability to attempt to speak Lithuanian and act a little goofy.
Next up... a well deserved nap and the sauna! (or... how Jurate beat me with a stick!)
No comments:
Post a Comment