This morning I was talking with Alex about his desire for a snow suit. I suggested that we look for one tomorrow while out shopping. He said, "Mom, there's no need to do that... I'll just ask Santa for it so you don't have to pay for it!"
Hmm... then later he said it again over sweatshirts (typical Alex, he only has two that he likes and wears... I can only wonder what his teachers think when they see each of them several times a week!). No worries, Mom. Santa will buy them all for me.
The basic theme was... you don't need to worry about buying anything, Mom! Santa will cover it all!
As I thought about this, I realized that we had discussed finances earlier this week---I was trying to show him that we couldn't buy EVERYTHING that came home from school (offers for Eberwhite Elementary Apparel) because we should budget and plan for what we buy.
So I didn't want him to persist with the idea that Santa was a free-for-all and avoid thinking about proper budgeting and saving.
My response:
"Alex, you do know that there is a limit to what Santa can bring each kid?? Oh, and Daddy and I pay taxes throughout the year to help support Santa's workshop."
I hope he understood!
No comments:
Post a Comment