Saturday, December 15, 2007

Negotiating peace in the Middle East

Stefan and I have often said that Middle East negotiating teams should be made of parents of young children. After all, we negotiate all day long, whether it is about food to eat, clothes to wear, errands to run, toys to play with, and recently at our house—whether or not to watch TV. How can you possibly compare the challenges of, say, a 6 year-old who is set on getting dessert or watching TV to easy problems like hundreds of years of religious and cultural conflict? Or a toddler who desperately wants yogurt and is in no mood to talk calmly much less negotiate? (okay, okay, for the sake of the work of those in the Middle East, this is a bit of an exaggeration, but definitely an idea worth considering!)

This week I had a training class where I had to leave earlier in the morning than normal. Alex wasn’t at all happy about this---he says he needs his “Mama time” in the morning or his day just doesn’t go well. Which is totally flattering for me---how long will this last??---but makes it difficult when I have other things that I need to do. (side note: what on earth could I have possibly done to deserve such adoration?? I mean really… Stefan is much more equipped for this parenting thing than I am…?) So… the compromise… he goes to bed a little earlier and wakes up a little earlier so we have our time together in the morning. One issue solved.

But… if I had my way, I’d go to the gym on the way to the training class since there really isn’t a way to fit in a workout at lunch when I’m in training! But… this was a “no-go” for Alex who really wanted Mama at home in the morning. Finally, after a heart-to-heart conversation, we decided that I could go to the gym one day during the week, and then we would have a special Mama-Alex outing to compensate. (unfortunately for Alex… we had a pretty full week and haven’t had our outing yet… but don’t worry, this kid has an amazing memory and won’t forget!) Issue two solved.

Now, if only we could get over this intense fascination with tv and candy, we'd be all set!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Earlier this week, Cameron had an all-out tantrum because he couldn't eat a piece of his Halloween candy before dinner. Curse you, candy and TV! You transform my happy boy into a raving madman!

Christine said...

I KNOW!! Isn't it terrible? Can't live with them, and apparently, can't live without them!