Friday, December 28, 2007

Random Christmas thoughts

Stefan's gift giving
This year, Stefan hurriedly finished his Christmas shopping on the weekend before Christmas. He asked what I wanted... well that's a tricky one because what I really want is more time for yoga or intangibles like that. So I told him a "blue necklace." And I did, indeed, get a very nice blue necklace. But I also got a can opener and a knife sharpener... which were really things that STEFAN wanted! In fact, he spent a good part of Christmas morning sharpening all the knives in the house and then proclaiming happy thoughts about their sharpness as he cut up onions for the eggs.

What? I thought... but these aren't gifts for ME!! I was about to start sputtering about this until I realized the small gem of opportunity here... perhaps Stefan will get some brand new yoga clothes for Christmas next year, which just happen to fit ME! Or a gift certificate to MY yoga studio!! Or a pedicure!!


Sticky buns extraordinaire
My Dad always makes cinnamon "sticky bottom rolls" for Christmas. So when I am not with him for Christmas, I make them. I'm proud to proclaim that this year, my buns were better than his!! (granted, he could blame the fact that his oven broke... but I think my prowess is intimidating him into damaging his oven!)

Alex and the hospital
I had a doctor's appointment at the U of M outpatient clinic that is next to the hospital on Christmas Eve. I kept expecting it to be cancelled (come on... doctors working on Christmas Eve?) but it wasn't! I took Alex along with me to get him out of Stefan's hair--and to spend some extra time with him. He behaved pretty well and entertained himself with various toys while I talked with the doctor. (note to self: the clinics are so empty on Christmas Eve that there is NO waiting time!)

Afterwards we had a little "bagel date" at the hospital cafeteria and talked for a while. We had some discussions about how there are children and adults who are so sick that they are in the hospital--spending the night--even on Christmas! It was pretty sobering to him, so we reflected for a while about how fortunate we are to be so healthy.

The Jack in the Box
Jameson recieved a "Jack-in-the-Box" toy from Jim and Gustie. At first he was terrified of it and had to be held tightly in our arms when it was played. And there was still much cowering and even crying!!

But gradually, he has, through his fairly expressive grunts and hand signals, requested it to be played more often. And while he still isn't up to turning the handle himself yet, he has come around to the point of thinking it is pretty funny!

No comments: