Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Conversations with Jameson

From the moment he wakes up, to the moment he falls asleep, Jameson is working on talking. Although sometimes it takes a bit of sleuthing to figure out what he's talking about.

"BAAAA" he says when I walk in the door. "Tent?" I guess.

"YEAH. FAA" Your tent fell? "YEAH"

(on a whim a few weeks ago, Stefan made him a "tent" by laying blankets across the top of the crib... now he insists on it for nearly every sleeping period, then happily destroys it when he wakes up)

I pick him up, and the conversation continues.

"ME-ME" We forgot his blankie. (yeah, somehow "me-me" or just "me" is blankie...)

"ASSAAAH" (Alex) So we go to see Alex. He's always happy to see Alex.

"EEEEE" (with accompanying sign language) Are you ready to eat, Jameson?

"YEAH" He wiggles out of my arms and opens the refrigerator. He pulls out his current favorite---yogurt.

"MEH-MEH" This is where you need the sleuthing... this actually means 'yogurt'. The boys settle in to eat their yogurt... Jameson delighted that he's at the big table with his big brother. (Alex is a little less thrilled to be up... he's a little crank-monster some mornings)



And so the day continues. Jameson announces the arrival of "DA" when he comes in for coffee. He clings to "MAMA" all morning, until he sees that I'm actually leaving, and then he's suddenly okay. He holds his little face up for a kiss, says and waves "BYE-BYE" and runs off on his chubby legs to play.

He reads "BAA" (books) and puts on his "SAA" (socks) and "BAA" (pants) and "SA-SA" (sweat-shirt or sweater). Later, he'll put on his "BAA" (boots) or perhaps he'll walk around in Alex's "SHAA" (shoes) and "SHAA" (shut) some doors. He might ask for "HA" (help) getting Torrie ("BAA" or "DAA" or "MAA") out of his "DA" (crib).

Some days, he goes to the "SI-SI" (science center) with "DA". One day recently, there was a "FI" (fire) that was "HA-HA" (hot) at the "SI-SI".

I especially like the end of the day, when I give him his "BA" (bottle) of "MA" (milk). "FA" he says, pointing to his forehead and then mine. Where's your nose, I ask. "NA" as he points to his and then mine. We follow that with "FEE" (feet) and then "EYE" and then "HA" (hair) and then "HA DA" (hair cut).

You got your hair cut, Jameson? "YEAH"

Then he points his chubby little finger to me "MAMA" and back to him "JE-JE". We were delighted when he finally found a word to call himself, although it fluctuates a little from "JE" and "JE-JE" and a three syllable word that I can't hope to reproduce, but trust me... it does sound a little like 'Jameson'!

And then it is time for brushing "DEE" (teeth) and saying "NI-NI".

Then I put him in his "DA" where I build a "BAA" for him before leaving him to roll around with "ME-ME" and "BAA" and settle in to sleep...

No comments: