Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mind Fair


This week Alex participated in his school's Mind Fair. The Mind Fair is very similar to the science fairs we all knew and loved in school, except that the kids aren't limited to a scientific experiment... they can also choose to learn more about a topic (say, giraffes or rainbows) or answer a question (why does food sometimes go down the wrong tube?).


Our budding scientist chose to learn about dinosaurs. After discussing all sorts of possibilities with Daddy, he elected to answer the question, "What caused the dinosaurs to die?"


After doing lots of research, he spent a long time with a very, very patient Daddy transforming his written notes into typed notes and then into a power-point presentation. Then came printing and pasting... and he was ready for the big day!!


Alex admitted to being very nervous the morning of the big day. Luckily I was able to arrange my work schedule so that I would be one of the "interviewers" at the same time that Alex's class was at the Mind Fair. For obvious reasons, I couldn't be the one to interview him, but I was able to arrange is so that his soccer coach (Coach Jean) was his interviewer. And he did just fabulous!!


When I was walking from one participant to another, a group of little boys came running up to me "Hey Alex's Mom! Alex's Mom! Alex WON THE FAIR! He got a ribbon!!" And indeed, when I went over to Alex, he was proudly showing off the blue ribbon. (the same blue ribbon that every participant receives!)


In the evening, we returned for the reception, with extra support... Baba and Papa were there, and Jameson and Daddy too! My favorite part was seeing how interested Alex was in all the other projects... he spent almost two hours walking around with Stefan and absorbing ideas and concepts from the other projects.


Jameson, on the other hand, was very interested in the snacks, and in running up and down the school hallways when given the opportunity. "FA" he said, describing his incredible speed. He drifted from me to Papa to Baba and to Daddy, wearing himself out with activity.


When it was finally over, and we were all back at home, I asked Alex if it was worth it. "Yes it was, Mama. But it was SO MUCH WORK!"


Side note... I had a small-town-moment on my drive from work to the school for the interviewing duty... I pulled up next to Stefan and Jameson at a traffic light! They were just returning from the "SI-SI" (science center) and enjoying some Zingerman's bread leftover from an event. After much waving and calling hellos and flicking of bread from one car to the next, I drove away smiling and happily munching on a piece of bread!


No comments: