Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fall Hiking

I couldn't have asked for better weather. It was a bright, warm fall day. Perfect for a long hike in the woods.



All those Cub Scouts, however, they were a different story. This was my first Cub Scout event, and I still have a lot to learn about groups of little boys together.... The good news is that the kids are bright and cheerful and excited to be with each other. The bad news is that this doesn't translate to a peaceful walk in the woods.

With a little bit of mental focus, however, I was able to occasionally block out the incessant discussions of snipers and grenades and Halloween costumes, and the singing of silly songs, so I could enjoy the changing leaves and beautiful scenery.


And snap a few pictures. The changing leaves just seem to call out to the amateur photographer in me.

You know.... I probably would not have taken the time for a five mile hike on this particularly weekend, which was already packed full with activities. But now I'm so glad we did. In fact, I'm thinking of doing another hike next week, if I can convince my intrepid hiking partner to come along with me.

And here's that little hiking partner, proudly wearing his cub scout uniform and loving every bit of the chocolate power bar long promised on the hike. This kid and his sweets...

Maybe if I promise him TWO power bars next weekend, he'll come along.


(Thanks for sewing on the patches, Grandma!!)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I never go hiking w/out my granola bars or power bars. How could you think of going w/out? You could get a serious case of mal-sugar-nition. :)

Christine said...

I'm in the process of bribing him to go hiking with me this weekend. Let's hope it works out! He LOOVVESSS his power bars.