Yeah, I know what you are thinking. NO WAY. Because those were my thoughts. Why would anyone, in their right mind, want to go on a trip like this?
Well... here's one reason:
I wasn't supposed to be going on this trip. This is Stefan's territory, and thankfully--not mine! But Stefan's back problems precluded the two hour car trip and the uncomfortable sleeping arrangements. And Alex wanted to go---had been promised to go---and so go I must.
This is one of those situations where I put my desires aside, and attempted--with all my might!--to bask in his delight rather than my desire for a glass of wine and a comfortable bed. It is truly amazing what parents will do for their kids. Alex LOVED this trip. In fact, he wished it was TWO nights. (oh, thank goodness it wasn't!)
We spent a lot of the time building the rockets, but we also toured the museum, worked on a scavenger hunt, and watched movies. And the boys don't always need planned activities---running around goofing off is satisfying enough for them.
Mission accomplished! Rocket launched and retrieved, a boy delighted, a night on the floor completed. Now... to find a starbucks on the way home so the adults can refuel!
Next time, it is Stefan's turn!
More pictures here.
1 comment:
I particularly like the last picture in your flickr set. You can see the accomplishment on Alex's face. I can remember how much fun it was doing the rockets when I was in cub scouts. I can't remember if Mom and Dad had fun too.
When we're kids, we seem to focus so much on ourselves and learning about the world. It took a few years of growing up to realize how much my activities as a kid consumed Mom and Dad's lives. (Belated THANK YOU!!)
Post a Comment