He really, really wanted me to be there for "morning activities," when he works on his number scroll. This number scroll, from what I can gather in our nightly updates, is some sort of graph paper where you write ten numbers on each horizontal line. When you get to the end of the sheet, you tape on another sheet and continue writing. He's up to number 1500 now (give or take) and is very proud.
So we arrive at school (after a quick trip back home to get one of Alex's shoes---they all come to school in boots and he had only packed ONE of his shoes that day... ) and find out that there was a surprise art class that morning instead of "morning routines."
So to art class we went.
After my normal feelings of being in a classroom---the feelings of awe and disbelief that teachers subject themselves to hours of time alone in a room with 22 very wiggly little people---I enjoyed watching Alex draw and color. The theme was making a "Green" poster, advertising recycling, and he did a fantastic job.

While he is obviously a little social creature, I was proud to see that he was able to stay focused despite some of the kids who clearly had "goofing off" on their artistic agenda.
I was inspired enough that I decided we needed to allow for more artistic time around our house. Saturday morning, I set out construction paper and plain paper, markers and crayons, and we had a little art class with only two students.
Two very cute students!
Alex again had very detailed and interesting pictures to draw (and explain---he always, always, has a running dialogue).
Jameson, not to be outdone by Alex, also had a running dialogue. His approach, naturally, is a little more "modern art" than Alex's style... scribble..."Mama, I made fire-duck"... scribble..."Bana and Pata" (Grandma and Grandpa)... scribble..."Mama, Baa-wooon" (Balloon)...
It was so fun that I think we'll be repeating it again in the near future. And, I'll be heading back to school soon too, as I never did see the famous number scroll.
No comments:
Post a Comment