Tuesday, February 24, 2009

That's my boy


Alex is our little talker. A social creature, he likes to share, ponder, and talk talk talk. Spending time with him can sometimes mean being subjected to a one-sided soliloquy. It isn’t uncommon at mealtime to have three of us finished and ready to move on to the next activity… and Alex is just starting his food because he was too excited to tell us about his exploits on the swings at school.

I know I should be relishing every moment of his long-winded conversations, because someday he may turn into a sullen teenager, reluctant to talk to his family at all. But sometimes it can be really taxing. Especially when we have to enforce quiet times at dinner so he will eat.

But at other times, his descriptions of the important things in his life are so endearing that I just can’t help but share them.

When shopping for new mittens on Monday, Alex requested, “this time, I want to get mittens with separate fingers!” Do you mean gloves, Stefan asked? Alex laughed and said, “oh yeah, I guess they are gloves!”

It reminds me of a moment four years ago, when the weather started turning warm, and he requested that I find his “short sleeve pants.”


Because, apparently, he had been wearing his long sleeve pants all winter!

No comments: