And so most of my posts would read, “Umm… yeah, we had dinner, where Alex picked at his food and Jameson made a big mess. Then we played Connect Four on the living room floor, but Jameson stole too many of the pieces and ran around screaming. At the end of our rope, we turned on Magic School Bus, parked the boys in front of it, and collapsed on the couch.”
But yesterday, as long as I was stuck inside, playing yet another came of Connect Four, I took the opportunity to think about on how lucky I really am. And I don’t just mean the fact that Stefan’s surgery was successful, and he’s healing has progressed to a point where he is starting to cook meals and help me clean the kitchen again, but that certainly helps one feel particularly good. (even in February)
What I’m really talking about the gratitude for these three wonderful people that I get to share a house—and a life—with.
(case in point… this morning, he looked at my wistfully, and said, “Ah… peace and quiet.” When I didn’t acknowledge him quick enough he yelled, “MAMA, I SAID AHHH… PEACE AND QUIET”. Um yeah, those aren’t two words I’d use to describe our house)
Then there’s the big one, our rough-and-tumble grade schooler, who lives for recess, playing with his friends, and wrestling with his brother. (and recently, reading comic books with his father) Thankfully he still sometimes shows that “little boy” side to me, like when he clings to me as I tuck him in at night. Is it too much to hope that some part of him is always my little boy?? If nothing else, I hope he keeps his enthusiasm for all sorts of adventures, whether the adventures are simple trips across town to go sledding, or more complex adventures like travelling the world.
And last, but not least, there’s this man I married. Who turned out to be a spectacular father (not to mention husband). I saw a recent example of his fatherly skills at the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. When Alex started to realize that his car was SLOW, and he wasn’t winning any of the races, his expression started to fall, right along with his mood and his enthusiasm. Daddy stepped in immediately, pointing out that, without even trying, he had the slowest car of everyone. Not an easy feat.
Soon Alex shared this philosophy, and is still proud today to show off his trophy for having “the slowest car of EVERYONE.”
Ahh… now these are the things that get me through another game of Connect Four, especially in a month like February.
Soon Alex shared this philosophy, and is still proud today to show off his trophy for having “the slowest car of EVERYONE.”
Ahh… now these are the things that get me through another game of Connect Four, especially in a month like February.
1 comment:
Believe it or not, we actually tried to make a car that would win. Apparently car making and back pain just don't quite go together. Maybe next year.
Post a Comment