It's time to move on... we are packing up to leave Maryland and heading to Rochester, NY. On our way, we are stopping in Hershey, PA, to see Chocolate World! Hopefully Alex appreciates this stop!
We've had a good time here. On Tuesday, we went to the zoo. We stopped at Rock Creek Park on the way and had a picnic lunch. I think I enjoyed this more than the zoo. We never went to this park when we lived in VA, and it's great! I also really enjoyed driving through the neighborhoods as well. Usually when we go from Silver Spring to downtown, we take the metro. There are beautiful, historic, leafy neighborhoods that are a pleasure to drive through.
After the zoo (Jameson really liked the elephants) Jameson and I dropped Stefan and Alex at a Metro stop and then came home to nap and read Harry Potter. They went downtown to the National Mall to hit the museums. They also found out about the DC junior ranger program---Alex's third on this trip! (I don't know if I ever mentioned that in addition to the Smokey Mountain Junior Range Badge, he also earned a "Coastal Junior Ranger" badge AND patch at Ocracoke).
So, in order to earn this badge, they spent all day Wednesday downtown going from monument to monument gathering information for the required booklet. Jameson and I had a much easier day--we napped and then shopped at one of my favorite stores (Patagonia sale) and then met Regina for lunch. (Regina is a friend from Michigan who is working in VA for the summer) She also just left the military, so we have a lot in common. And we had a lot of catching up to do!
Then we went to Grandma Bradt's for the afternoon and dinner (the other boys caught up with us there in time for dinner). Grandma occasionally seemed to know who we were, but mostly she enjoyed watching Jameson walk around and explore. My cousin Rachel, who lives there as well, recently got a little dog. Jameson was enthralled---it was really neat to see him try to play with her.
Jameson settled down for a nap--and even let my Aunt Peggy feed him the bottle!
Rachel has a garden, and Peggy and I found some zucchini. I got inspired to make zucchini bread, so Peggy and I spent some time searching through Grandma's old recipes. We finally found a zucchini bread recipe, and I was still munching on the bread during the drive today. Yum!
Bottom line, it was a nice, relaxing day for Jameson and I as we caught up with family and friends (as well as a Patagonia sale). I mostly enjoyed my time with him---he is learning a few words ("Sh" for shoe and "De" for "dog") and is just delightful--when he is happy!. Stefan and Alex had a very active day, resulting in earning a THIRD junior ranger badge!
No comments:
Post a Comment