Sunday, July 22, 2007

Ocracoke--an amazing week

Devoted readers,
These are some notes I wrote up during the week, when I didn't have internet, and so now I am posting them. I'll get some pictures online soon.


17 July

Okay, so maybe there are some moments when I wish the kids would disappear. Or that Stefan and I could spend a few days here on our own. Especially at about 0630, when I am about 75% done with my yoga sequence and am looking forward to coffee and solitude upon finishing and the kids wake up, needy for Mama. (or “Mamama” as Jameson says)

This island is beautiful. This town is adorable. A wonderful combination of feeling a little remote and close to the water and nature, yet there are people and shops and restaurants and things to do. The coffee shop is my favorite. We went this morning, and there were people all over the place… inside, outside, with kids or with dogs or alone (that was sounding like Dr. Seuss for a minute!). The crazy long-haired-barefoot-hippy guy we saw on the ferry ride was even there. The coffee was great, the atmosphere perfect, the choices of food yummy. Bagels, cinnamon rolls, muffins, big bowls of fresh fruit. We made do with bagels today, but tomorrow we’re going to go there first thing---for breakfast. I can’t wait to get that bowl of fresh fruit. (the produce selection in the local store isn’t so great and I’m missing good fruit). Maybe we’ll even beat some of the crowds. Lots of smoothie choices and coffee smells and the sound of espresso and cappuccino being made. People using computers, a book store in the back, kids and parents sharing yummy things. A big yard in front with tables and chairs.

We have bikes. A tandem for Alex and I, and a “regular” bike with a baby seat for Jameson and Stefan. It seems to be the preferred way to get around this place. I love it. Alex has discovered how to peddle. And it really does help in powering the bike. We call it the "Turbo Booster" and he was quite proud of his contribution to our movement.

We have a screened-in porch which we’re sitting on right now. Jameson is wondering around, chatting about Daddy (“Dada DADA ga ma DADA”) and I’m enjoying listening to the sounds of the insects (and sometimes people). It is HOT and HUMID, but occasionally we get the breeze from the water to cool us off.

Evening

Jameson is wondering around the room, playing with his light saber (Stefan gave him his). Alex and Stefan (and me, I admit) are watching Ghostbusters. It’s funny seeing it again when it has been years and years since I last saw it.

It’s been a good day. Stefan and Alex left during nap to go to a Children’s program. They ended up making a “Jolly Roger” (Pirate’s flag). Jameson and I went out biking after he woke up. I went to the coffee shop, in an attempt to share a bowl of fruit, but it was too crowded to wait. So we continued on, and found a unique little gallery back in a marsh-like area that also sold organic tomatoes (strange combination, I admit). Then we went to the fish market, where we encountered quite a line. Jameson entertained himself and the other patrons by playing with a water bottle (from my backpack) on the floor. He got quite grubby in the process, so we took showers once we got home.

(note... I got to thinking about which child is easier to spend time with. Honestly, I don't know... during this hot and humid and sweaty bike ride, it was hard to carry Jameson in and out, up and down. Hard to hook him in to the bike when he was fussy and sandy. But... he never had any opinions over my choice of direction, or my choice of shops, or the speed at which we were travelling)

Stefan made pan-fried the tuna steaks, which were really yummy. Almost as yummy as the Mahi-Mahi we had last night. This fresh fish is just amazing! I can’t wait to see what we’ll try tomorrow.


Random thoughts…

This place is great. I wonder why no one ever told me about it. It’s the type of place where I think, “Why doesn’t EVERYONE come here for vacation?” And a moment later I think, “Ohhh, but thank goodness they don’t.”

From the conversation with the wine shop owner (Oh, you are staying in Reo… I know the owners! And there’s a broadway singer staying right next to you) to the great little bookshop and pottery store to the water to the beach to the harbor to the fresh fish. A great vacation place.

What could we improve on… hmm… reserving a massage early so they aren’t booked up. Being able to make the yoga classes (I went to one by the rest are during the kids’ best time of the day). Coming with another family with young kids so a) the kids have someone to hang out with (I’m tired of playing Star Wars!), b) we have a few more adults to talk to and c) we have someone to trade babysitting with. Oh, and reserving a spot at the wine tasting so we don’t miss out! Going kayaking. Having a place with a view of the water and/or the harbor.

Quotes:

After I sniff Jameson’s backside to see if he needs a diaper change.
Dad (or Uncle Monkey?): Wouldn’t you just love it to have someone sniffing you backside every few minutes?
Me: It’s better than being the one doing the sniffing!

During a meal with Alex:
Me: Alex, please stop sticking the cous-cous to the back of your hand and then sucking them off.
Alex: But Mama, it relaxes me!(the only place I could think of where this may have originated was answering questions from Alex on why I like to do yoga)

19 July

Wow, first full day as a civilian. A very good day.

I got in a full sequence of yoga, albeit very humid yoga on the porch.

Then I tripped DOWN the stairs on my way to get some clean laundry. I hurt my foot, and it is still bothering me.

The boys slept in until nearly 7am, the best all week. I thought we were going to head to the coffee shop for breakfast, but I got overruled by the family. Stefan made toads in blankets (eggs cooked inside a hole in toast). Alex had cocoa-crispies, a major vacation treat. We all had peaches, which are perfectly ripe right now.

Then, after breakfast, we went for a bike ride. We keep on exploring new little corners of this town. After getting quite a workout, we stopped at the coffee shop (yay!). This time I got granola covered in fruit. We think this would be a great thing for the coffee shop in the food coop in Ann Arbor to make. After picking through the fruit (which was sort of juicy… also used in their famous smoothies) the granola was soaked in fruit juice and was totally amazing. Jameson was more enthralled with trying to drink out of my propel bottle. Alex was a bit fussy and complained when we took bites of his cinnamon roll.

Then we continued our ride to run some errands before returning home and getting Alex’s lunch packed for day-camp. I drove him there and then had a little bit of time by myself to shop and relax. After I bought a really neat book on women in Islamic culture, I had planned to go back to the coffee shop to get online, but the line was SO long I opted to drive out of town and see what the rest of the island looks like.

For those that aren’t aware, the rest of the island is a national seashore and is protected. There are a few “public” beaches (one with a lifeguard and showers, etc), a campground, and a pen for the wild ponies. (the ponies are supposedly left from a Spanish shipwreck 4 centuries ago… yes I realize it seems odd for “wild” ponies to have a pen, but it is too keep them from getting injured on the road) I found one of the more remote beaches and enjoyed 20 minutes of strolling. I could see for miles in each direction, and saw no houses or development and only about 20 people. I resolved to come back for a swim with one or both of the boys later.

After lunch and a little time to read, Stefan, Jameson and I went to the closer (life guarded) beach. I enjoyed some time in the water while Jameson and Stefan strolled (crawled and scooted) in the shallow, sandy area. We kept it short so we could pick up Alex on time. Jameson and I were both delighted by the shower at the end (and spent more time in it than necessary!) causing Stefan to give me that “look” of frustration. But it felt sooo good after the long sandy, hot walk to the parking lot area.

Then I went back to the beach for a THIRD time with Alex (making up for several days with no time at the beach this week!). We had a blast getting plowed by the waves for about an hour. I am now suffering from a sunburn because of my forgetfulness in reapplying sunscreen. We walked beyond the rest of the people and I snapped some pictures of him (reluctantly) playing. If he had his way, we would have spent about 5 hours there non-stop in the water.

We came back to grab the last bit of Jameson’s afternoon nap and get a snooze for ourselves. Jameson woke up while we were still resting and Stefan was gracious enough to take him out for a walk so we could continue to rest. And boy did I rest—when Stefan woke me up I thought it was morning! (first thoughts... what is Stefan doing up at 5am and why is he waking me up?) We had planned earlier in the week to make this our “night-out” at a restaurant. We went to the “Back Porch” which seemed to have the best food and wine list of the restaurants here. We weren’t disappointed. Just for fun, here’s a run down of what we all ate:

Me: Caprese Salad for appetizer, shared with Stefan and Jameson
House Salad
Crab cakes in red pepper sauce with rice and vegetables
Cabernet Savignon

Stefan: Caprese Salad
House Salad
Seafood platter (upon tasting a few bites, he said, “Now THIS is a seafood platter!”)
Wine of some sort

Alex: 3 fruit leathers found in my “kid food bag”
A bite of Jameson’s apple sauce
Two sips of OJ, until discovering it had pulp
About 8 bites of spaghetti in meat sauce
A very reluctant bite of scallop
A less reluctant bite of Blue-fish

Jameson: Water from sippy cup
Part of a piece of bread from bread basket (rest is on floor)
Half of a graham cracker (rest is on floor)
A few bites of applesauce
Attempt to eat a “tine” of a plastic fork from the food bag. Stefan wrestles away the rest of the fork and digs out the tine from his mouth. (note: he loves holding forks and spoons so I brought it as a diversion tactic, never thinking he would try to ingest it)
Bits of tomato from the caprese salad, followed by arm waving excitement
More tomato and mozzarella
Even more tomato.
More water, then tossing sippy cup onto floor
About 4 Cheerios
Happy bites of Daddy’s scallops
Shredding a zucchini from Mama’s plate, eating about ¼ of it.
More bites of fish from Daddy’s plate
More cheerios
More applesauce
A bit of watered down OJ from Alex’s neglected cup (put into sippy cup)

So… this is what restaurants are like with a one year old! I always feel like we need to tip a little extra because of the cleaning up they must do. I won’t even mention the trouble we had getting Alex up from nap and going to the restaurant. It was worse than pulling teeth. Seriously, send parents of young children to the Middle East to negotiate peace. We’ve negotiated far more difficult things. The diplomats they do send are way too removed from the tricky skills of parenthood to be effective!

Now I’m nursing my sunburn and my sore foot and looking forward to disappearing into my book. Do I read more of the “brain candy” mystery or the Islamic woman’s book?

Only two more days here on Ocracoke. More biking… more trips to the coffee shop… more trips to the ocean.

1 comment:

Jen White Doom said...

I love reading your blog! Thanks for sharing so many details about your vacation. It sounds wonderful.