Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Chef and the Critic


We often call the boys “The Chef and the Critic,” denoting Jameson’s love of trying new foods (and creating his own… ever heard of soup and applesauce? What about soup and yogurt mixed together?) and Alex’s disdain for the new, the strange, the spiced, the “anything other than plain plain foods” category.

This week, for example, I made white bread. Plain white bread. With yeast! I kneaded it and let it rise and made it ALL FROM WHITE FLOUR so my little critic would eat it. (he’s well-used to me adding whole wheat flour or wheat germ or oatmeal to all my recipes) And when this beautiful, warm, fresh-from-the-oven WHITE bread was presented to him… well, you can guess his response. ”It tastes weird, Mom.”

Sigh.

So I was so surprised when I came home from work and found that all the blueberry muffins (that weren’t packaged up and given to a neighbor) were GONE. Well, maybe Jameson ate them. He enjoys my baking. But, Alex proudly announced, “I liked your muffins, Mama! Especially the sugar on top!”



Boy, was I excited. I found something he liked!! So two days later, yesterday, in fact, I woke up early despite my sore throat and baked up another batch of these great muffins. (okay, I admit, I LOVE these muffins too) Alex doesn’t realize that there really isn’t much sugar, plus all those healthy blueberries and the oatmeal and eggs and whole wheat pastry flour! Apparently, having sugar sprinkled on top can cover a lot in this boy’s mind. (a note on the blueberries... I found some bags of tiny frozen berries from Trader Joe's that are apparently Canadian and grown in the wild... they are so good I've taken to eating little bowls of them, frozen, straight from the freezer)

So, you can imagine me, in the kitchen early in the morning, thinking how great this is going to be… he can wake up to fresh muffins! I’ll be a great mom!! Baking breakfast for my family! (they should give out awards for this stuff)


And Jameson sure was appreciative. He woke up on the early side and was very hungry. When he saw the muffins he squealed in delight and then growled with each bite he took. (if that doesn’t spell satisfaction, what does?)

So, when I finally started to pry Alex out of his bed and talk about these wonderful muffins I made for him with lots of sugar on top, I should have expected his response.

Next time, Mom, can you make them without the blueberries?

No comments: