For Mom and Dad, the hope all along, that he’ll learn about the value of money, and the good that can come from hard work, and about saving and planning. (and not that he should be paid for every little good act, or become bratty in his expectation of compensation)
For Alex, weeks of pondering if he’ll ever get there. Changing the goal from a $90 set to a $100 set midstream (with his own adjustment to the charter). Speculating aloud, all of the following:
Do you think I’ll ever make it? What if it takes years?
Why do Legos have to be so expensive?? Don’t toy companies know that kids have to work SO HARD to earn money?
(after noticing an advertisement for a Disney cruise, and his mother’s response to his inquiry that it is so expensive that we’d have to cut out so many other things, just for a few days on a cruise ship) But Mama, why don’t you earn money like I do, you know, taking out the trash and all, and then we could have enough to go on the cruise?
NO WAY! It can’t be THAT EXPENSIVE. You’re kidding. (after learning that a car is more than a thousand dollars)
Why can’t all Lego sets be one quarter? Then I could buy so many of them!
(insert whiny voice here) Mama, can you think of anything I can do to earn a hundred dollars quickly?? I’ll NEVER make it.
Mama, I’ve almost made $80!! I’ll be done soon. Can you believe it?
Mama, only SEVEN MORE QUARTERS!! What can I do for seven quarters?
(at the suggestion of clearing the dishes, loading them into the dishwasher, and taking out the compost) That is WAY MORE WORK than seven quarters!!
Congratulations, my son, on a job well done. My reward will be watching your joy in putting together so many Legos.
1 comment:
alright!! now start the car (or hovercraft by that time) and the college quarters !! ;-)
Post a Comment